Sunday, July 18, 2010

Baby Back Ribs (by Pat)

Hello to all out there in the blogosphere! This is Pat coming at you with my very first blog post. I hope this goes well. So this weekend I got to fire up my new Big Green Egg for the second time. Baby Back Ribs were on the menu, and I loosely followed a recipe I got off of the Big Green Egg forum.


My first task was to split and create some fist sized chunks of Pecan wood for some smokey flavor. The wood came courtesy of Suzanne's Dad, but he got it from Sarah and Matthew, and they got it from Robert and Carole. (Thanks guys, I am putting it to good use.) The splitting and cutting was a chore, but here are some pics of the final product and a shot of the dismantled log.



Here is the egg doing what it does best. I cooked the ribs for about 5 1/2 hours. The egg was letting off this nice light smoke for the entire cook. I think the trick is using wood chunks instead of wood chips. I used a dry rub on the ribs that was just a hodge-podge of spices we had in the cabinet along with some brown sugar. After 5 hours, I pulled the ribs off and let the egg get nice and hot. While it was heating up, I applied a very liberal amount of BBQ sauce to the ribs. Once the eggs was at about 300 degrees, I put the ribs back on for 30 minutes to caramelize the sauce. Here is the whole rack after the BBQ sauce had caramelized. And here is a picture of my first helping. Needless to say, I am really enjoying my Big Green Egg. I can't wait to cook more stuff on it and share it with friends and family. That's all for now.

Pat

No comments:

Post a Comment