Monday, April 18, 2011

Anything Goes

Yesterday afternoon I zipped into NYC to meet up with Laurisa for a matinee viewing of the musical Anything Goes.  I got the tickets on Hiptix like I have many other shows...but this was special because Laurisa is friends with one of the stars!  His name is Colin Donnell and he went to college with us, so that is how they are friends.
After the storm on Saturday, I lucked out with a gorgeous day for my trip into the city.  The above picture is when I was heading down Fifth Avenue.  I parked in a garage on 43rd Street and met up with Laurisa in front of the Stephen Sondheim theatre.   The show was light hearted and fun.  It had some great dance numbers in it and was just really cute and funny, plus the singing was fantastic.  I loved the costumes too. 
Here we are with Colin:
He put her on the backstage list, so right after the show we were able to go downstairs and meet up with him.  He was really nice and introduced us to a few people, including Jessica Walter (you might know her as the mom on Arrested Development)
 Being backstage was fascinating.  Several people were celebrating their upcoming day off, since most of Broadway is closed on Mondays. 
Some costumes...
I guess it's a tradition for other shows to send a note wishing them luck with opening.  These are from other current shows on Broadway, including Catch Me If You Can, Bengal Tiger at the Baghdad Zoo, War Horse, etc.  Most of them are signed by the entire cast.

We grabbed a drink with Colin afterwards, so we exited the stage door with him.  He of course stopped to sign autographs for all the fans. 

 My first signed Playbill: "To A Southern Belle"
Such a fun and exciting afternoon!

No comments:

Post a Comment