Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Hazing


Evidently there is a lot of talk about sorority and fraternity
hazing right now. My radio station was talking about it all morning and then when I signed on to AIM at work an article about it popped up.

Here is one story- Member puts a peeled banana in the toilet. A blindfolded pledge is instructed to put head in toilet and eat whatever they find. GROSS GROSS GROSS

Thank goodness my
sorority did not participate in hazing. There was none whatsoever. I was treated with utmost respect and actually given gifts - picture frames, candles, candy, etc. I guess some frats and sororities still haze because of tradition and to encourage bonding. Maybe I'm an old fart now but there are many ways to bond that don't involve hazing.

I asked my frat boy husband about it. "The stupid harmless stuff is good, it creates camaraderie between people. Forced drinking and stuff like that is pretty dangerous."

Anyhow, the radio station was talking about Greek life in general too. We've all heard the "buying friends" argument and I don't care. I am glad I joined my sorority. I have great, great friends from it. Would I have been happy in college if I hadn't joined a sorority? Yes, absolutely. I'm still glad I did. (even if Ritual got a little old my senior year...)

I have wonderful memories of college and my sorority life. I think AOII enhanced my college years. There were plenty of nights spent studying or working on papers and projects, but mostly I remember College = FUN.

What do you think about hazing? Rite of passage? What constitutes hazing? Unnecessary? Share a story if you've got one! (Leave a comment)

Alpha Love,
Suzanne

Mission Statement: "
Alpha Omicron Pi is a women's fraternity whose purpose is to provide sisterhood for a lifetime, promote academic excellence, enhance personal and leadership development, and encourage fraternity and community service."
Picture from http://www.indiana.edu/~aoii/

1 comment: