Thursday, May 20, 2010

Workin Gal Again

You guys know I had the lovely month of April off from the working world.  It was pretty wonderful!  But it is quite nice to get back to a routine and interact with people during the day.  My first day at my new job was last Tuesday (counting 8 days so far) and it was my first of three days of training.  Three days was not enough.  I really liked the girl I replaced, Elyse - she is moving to Israel to be with her fiance as he's in Med School there.  On Friday, not only was Elyse no longer helping me, but my supervisor was away and I felt like there was A LOT on my plate.  Just too much thrown on me at once- how would I get it all done? (don't take a restroom break til 3 on Monday, don't take lunch til 2 on Tuesday...)  I was so accustomed to my old job and everything was now so different!

My supervisor was also out on Monday.  I know it takes time, but I just felt so much pressure and wanted to be perfect right off the bat.  On Tuesday I finally had a mini breakdown (yes, unfortunately tears included).    My supervisor came through and took away some of the projects I was working on.  I come to find it took Elyse months to learn how to do something I tried to pick up in 3 days.  So, I'll pick them up gradually, once I get comfortable with my job basics.  My main duties are travel arrangements, calendar management, and answering the phones.  It's different than my old job (in many ways!) because I am assisting 11 people.  But everyone is super nice and it's a very comfortable working environment.  We even had a group lunch to wish Elyse well - that was a nice way for me to get to know some people.  I feel like I am learning so much, not only about work stuff but also about everyone I work with (spouse names, pet names, home address and on and on) The last couple days were awesome - I felt so much more comfortable and happy. It's been fun working down on Wall Street; it's a whole new area that I'm getting to know.  Today at lunch I grabbed a sandwich and ate on a bench near the East River. 

A little more about the job: I'll also handle petty cash and Amex expenses, along with other general administrative work.  I have pretty set hours (9-6) and I've figured out my commute.  I take a 7:42 train in the morning and usually get home by 7:30.  The train ride isn't bad and it's a good time to read, check email/facebook, or just think and rest.

Anyhow, things started going well at work - and now it's time for a break.  Before I took the job offer, my sister E already had a flight booked to visit (YAY!) so I arranged to take unpaid days during her trip.  E arrives tomorrow morning and she'll be here til Thursday.  We are going to have the best week together!  Lots of fun things planned - so that means I'll have plenty of reasons to update the blog!  Keep an eye out. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment