Thursday, June 17, 2010

Bonus Bogguss

We had two late nights in a row this week, and thus no blogging the past couple days. 

Tuesday night: Pat and I joined Barry and Ele for a show at City Winery.  We bought the tickets to see a very talented singer, Suzy Bogguss.  My parents had one of her CDs when I was a kid and we listened to it ALL the time.  A new singer songwriter, Sahara Smith, opened the show.  She was good.  And then Jim Lauderdale preformed after Sahara.  I'd seen him once before in Nashville at a Red Cross Benefit.  He played solo this time and was great.  I think he would have happily kept on singing all night and not given up the stage to Suzy.  Suzy sure put on a great show.  It's amazing how you can forget all about a song and then hear it again years later and know all the words.  Loving the stage, she was still playing after midnight when we decided we better leave.  If we missed the 12:45 train, then we'd have no way to get home.  We only missed a few songs (luckily Barry kept me posted).   

Wednesday night:  Pat and I joined Dave and Dia for a fun night.  Dia planned the evening several months ago as a birthday present for Dave.  We met up for a bite to eat at The Smith restaurant on Third Avenue.  It was amazing, we all agreed!  To start we all shared beer-battered fried string beans and mac n cheese, and then I had shrimp and grits.  Wow, such comfort food!  I will definitely be going back to that place.  After dinner we walked over to Webster Hall to see a new-to-me band, Blitzen Trapper.  We caught some of the opening band, The Moondoggies which were good too. 

So, we saw two great shows in a row, both very different scenes!  The first one was sit-down, enjoy some wine.  The second one was a cram in there and stand up kinda place.  (yeah, I like the sit down one more)  I think I could have gotten Yankees tickets tonight through work, but I was thrilled to just come home and relax on the couch after these two late nights in a row. 

Almost the weekend! :)  What is everyone up to?

Photo from Wikipedia.

No comments:

Post a Comment