Monday, March 8, 2010

Balsamic Chicken with Baby Spinach

Hello.  So on Friday I told you I'd be testing out another new recipe over the weekend.  The Balsamic Chicken with Baby Spinach from Food Network turned out great.  It was very quick to make and you'll be happy to know it has no cream or half n half.  I cooked a little more than the recipe calls for because I knew we wanted leftovers.


Ingredients
1 tablespoon olive oil (I should have used more since I used extra chicken)


3 cloves garlic, chopped


2 (8-ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breasts, halved (I used about 8-10 chicken tenderloins)


8 ounces baby spinach


2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar


1/3 cup low-sodium chicken broth (I used closer to a cup since it was leftover from another recipe)


1 cup low-sodium canned chopped tomatoes with juice (I used more like 2 cups, we like tomatoes)


2 cups whole wheat couscous, cooked (I couldn't find whole wheat couscous so I used parmesean couscous - probably gave it more flavor anyway)
 
--------------------------------------
 
Once the chicken was cooked, it is set aside. You then briefly cook the spinach, just enough to wilt it. Amazing how a whole bag of spinach cooks down to this size.
Sometimes I get too busy and can't take pictures of all the steps.  Sorry!  The balsamic vinegar and chicken stock help pick up browned bits on the bottom of the pan.  And I added my can of tomatoes and here's what I had:
Now, get ready to layer.  First in the bowl is your cooked couscous.  This stuff cooks so quickly and we love it.
Next you add on some spinach.
Then add some chicken.
Then pour or scoop on some of your tomato/balsamic sauce.
We served with some sauvignon blanc.
I'll definitely be cooking this again.  In one bowl you are getting your vegetables and protein, a well balanced meal I think. 
Meow

No comments:

Post a Comment