Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Coffee Toffee Bars

Yum Yum Yum!  I think we might even like these more than the Peanut Butter Bars I made the other weekend.
Ingredients:
•1 cup soft butter
•1 cup brown sugar
•1 teaspoon almond extract
•1 tablespoon instant coffee (up To 2 tablespoons for more flavor - I just used 1 but next time I might try more)
•½ teaspoons baking powder
•¼ teaspoons salt
•2-½ cups flour
•1 cup chocolate chips (up To 2 cups.  I just used a full 1 cup)
It was a great chance to use my KitchenAid mixer. 
Question - what is the difference between baking soda and baking powder?  I'll admit I used baking soda instead of baking powder. 
All spread out on the pan and ready to bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes.
I wanted to finish off a bag of Ghirardelli (the bigger chocolate chips) so you can see I have two different sizes.  Can you notice I tried to flip all the big ones so they were flat and not upside down or sideways?  I thought they might look nicer that way.  :o)
Who's ready for dessert?
I love the crispy edges.
Cut and ready to share.  Save some for yourself though!
DELISH!

PS Maybe this is common knowledge, but I just learned this pretty recently from MILK (just came up with this nick name for my Mother in law Kate) - stick a little piece of bread in your opened packages of brown sugar.  It keeps the sugar from hardening up. :o)

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful presentation! These make my mouth water, can you do a trade off with Rob and give me one? haha.

    ReplyDelete