Monday, November 30, 2009

Thanksgiving Recap (very long post!)

While our Thanksgiving break flew by, it's amazing how much fun you can squeeze into just four days.  (and technically we were celebrating with the McNulty clan on Wednesday night too!  We had venison!)


THURSDAY
We started off our Thanksgiving day with a 3:50 am wakeup.  We caught the first flight from Newark to Nashville and had already received the "Daddy Taxi" pick up by 8 am.  I took a neighborhood walk with my Mom and then family started to arrive when we got back home.  I played an epic game of Monopoly (my 7 year old cousin Kate won) while Pat helped Dad fry the turkey.  The weather was nice so we were able to be outside by the fish pond, fire pit and shucking oyster area.  As for dinner, the food was DELICIOUS and all 24 of us sat at one long table.  Pictures of the day:

My adorable cousin Kate. She went to the Miley Cyrus concert on Wednesday night.  I think my Mom and sis enjoyed it just as much as she did! :o)

Dad and Russell shucking oysters

Sam and Lorena in town from BA, Argentina

E and cousin Henry.  He was a big Monopoly winner too.

Sweet Libby and her mom Emily (and my cousin) 

Lieutenant Hardie

24 at one table!


E, Suz, Pat

It was cousin Randolph's birthday!

My cousin Sarah and her beautiful girl Lucy.  It was my first chance to meet lil Lucy!


FRIDAY
More family time and more Monopoly.  :)  My cousin Matthew stopped by to help finish the keg, and friends Lacie and Neil stopped by too.  Also, we nibbled on some smoked trout from Russell.  That night we went for drinks at my cousin Rachie's new adorable Hillsboro Village apartment.  Then Pat and I headed over to "East Nasty" (East Nashville) to hang out at Lanier's with friends Matt, Jeff, and Kate.  Pictures of the day:


Family Group shot before everyone headed home to FL, AL, and WV.

Nashville Area School Shot :)  Neil, Lacie, E, Suz, Pat

My mom thanking Henry ~ he made my parents a perfect blue bird box!

Cousins ~ Sam, Lorena, Suz, Pat, Sarah, Matthew, E, Rachie

Lorena, Sarah, Matthew

Suzanne, Matt, Lanier

Silly girls, Kate and Lanier - I LOVE YOU!

Suz, Lanier, Marisa, Kate


SATURDAY
We slept in a bit and helped with the house clean up.  Pat and I then ventured out to the Nashville Farmers' Market.  My friend Claire has a booth for her bakery shop Dozen.  Her goodies are all made with local and mostly organic ingredients.  We got there later in the day so she was almost sold out but we got one of everything left...BEST pecan square I have ever tasted.  I think it's the best dessert I've ever had.  The Chocolate Chip Pecan Cookies were delish too!!  Another great walk with Mom and then later that night my parents braved hosting one more time for our annual Christmas dinner with the Nads (they will be in Argentina this year).  The rare beef tenderloin might have been my Dad's best yet.  And I always love my Mom's confetti rice (it has peppers and onions in it).   Our friends Tom and Shelly picked us up later that night for the annual Wacking of the Bush.  Tom is one of Pat's college roommates and it's so nice he lives in Nashville.  Ok, so there is this really strong and tasty drink at the Broadway Brewhouse called a Bushwacker.  It's kind of like a milkshake but it has 4-5 shots in it I think.  I forgot how gross it is to be in a smoke filled bar.  Get with the program Nashville and ban it!

Claire - wish we'd had stayed to visit longer.  Great to see her though!


SUNDAY
I met up with my friend Freya for a coffee.  We were going to try out the new Fiddlecakes but it was closed for the holiday.  So we headed over to the Frothy Monkey.  After our nice visit and yummy latte my sister suggested lunch...so next stop was Satco.  E was heading to the Titans ("Give me a T..."!!) game that afternoon so we said our goodbyes.  Pat and I had fun going to a couple open houses in the Richland area that afternoon.  Here's hoping we win the lotto!!  Mom and Dad served us some amazing turkey soup for dinner and then it was off to the airport.  Got home after midnight. 


It's always a bit depressing to leave Nashville.  It's just so nice to be so close to so many family and friends.  And I feel like the farthest you ever have to drive to get anywhere is about 15 minutes. Luckily we have some fun things to look forward to up this way!


And thank you to my In Laws for taking care of Winnie while we were away and for doing the airport shuttle.  Kate also decorated the house for Christmas and it looks amazing!  Pictures of that to come.   

No comments:

Post a Comment