Thursday, November 19, 2009

Wishful Drinking


Ok, so I've had lots of shows and fun things planned lately.  I love having a couple fun things to look forward to, but I've had more than usual lately.  Tonight Pat and I have $20 Hiptix to see Carrie Fisher in Wishful Drinking.  It's supposed to be very funny.

And since I've been telling you about lots of shows and concerts before the show, I'll give you my two cents now. (Shows in October and November)

Neko Case at The Wellmont Theatre in Montclair, NJ: I left disappointed because she cut songs from her set and only played 60 minutes and didn't even say goodbye or thank you at the end.  The microphone shocked her on stage and she seemed to take it out on the audience.  Her opening band Calexico was superb.  I heard that she played a full show, including Encore, at The Beacon Theatre the next night.  I don't think she gained a fan in Pat with our show, but what I heard I really did enjoy.  She has an amazing voice.  The benefit of the shortened show - we made it home pretty early and got plenty of sleep which was nice for a Sunday night.  Oh, and I did really enjoy having 3rd row center seats!

Ray Lamontagne at The Beacon Theatre: I was amazed that he entertained a full house with just him and his guitar (and harmonica for a couple songs).  I should have looked more closely at my ticket - it said Solo.  I think I would have enjoyed it more if he'd had a band with him, but I think he was great.  Funny interactions with the crowd too.  I want to get more of his music.  He must have made a killing that night, pretty expensive tickets and no band to pay.  We had to leave a little bit early to make our bus, but overall, great show. 

After Miss Julie on Broadway: This play only had 3 actors, and I was impressed by all of them.  Sienna Miller and Johnny Lee Miller being the stars.  Since we had cheap seats up in the balcony I missed a few lines because I couldn't hear everything.  Short show, the end of the show could've fooled me into being intermission.  Great set.  But don't rush out to see it. 

Brad Paisley and Dierks Bently at Madison Square Garden: Full of hits and fun!  I love both of these guys and there is nothing like a country concert.  Brad sure earned that CMA for Male Vocalist of the year.

The Avett Brothers at Terminal 5: I had basically never heard of these guys when I was talked into buying a ticket.  I feel like a true fan now.  The show was fabulous!

Bye Bye Birdie on Broadway: Cute and fun musical.  John Stamos and Bill Irwin were great.  They encountered a set problem towards the beginning of the show.  Curtains had to be closed so it could be fixed.  John Stamos entertained the crowd during that break and called his buddy Bob Saget up on stage to join him.  I love live theatre, you never know what to expect.  The majority of the cast are teenagers (or at least look like it) and I thought they did a great job.

Bruce Springsteen at Giants Stadium:  This guy can't be beat.  Man, he can put on a show!  He played the entire Born to Run album and plenty of other songs.  The E Street Band is the best.  I think I'd see him in concert every week if I could and I think my friend Barry does!

No comments:

Post a Comment