Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Butter Chicken

We had a wonderful 3 day weekend - filled with time with each other and with friends, relaxing, eating, movies, all the good stuff. 

I missed the part about this recipe marinating overnight, so it only got a couple hours but that's didn't seem to be a problem.  At the grocery my jaw hit the floor when I saw that a tiny little jar of Cardamom was $14!  Oh well, we have quite the little spice collection now. 
So first I chopped up 5 cloves of garlic, squeezed one lime, then combined all my spices - salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, cumin, coriander, and cardamom.  That marinated with 3 large chicken breasts (I later cut two of them in half since they were so big). 

A couple hours later, when we started to get hungry, I chopped up a white onion and sauted it in a half stick of butter. 
Once the onions were soft, I added the chicken and cooked it about 10 minutes. 
Next I added one 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes and another 14.5 oz can of tomato sauce. 
I added the lid and let it cook on medium low for about 30 minutes.  I also cooked up some basmati rice at this point.  Here is the point where you will say "another recipe with half n half!?" - Yep.  Add 2 cups of it right at the end.  And finally the last step was topping it with some cilantro.  I had thought about skipping this step because whenever I buy it, most of the bunch usually gets wasted, but I'm glad it had the cilantro - really pulled all the flavors together.
I loved it.  So glad that it turned out so well after my potato disaster the other weekend.  :)

Tonight Pat and I have tickets to see Trey Anastasio (of Phish) at Terminal 5.  Should be fun!  Tomorrow night, it's leftovers of Butter Chicken.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the sweet comment on my blog! This dish looks wonderful. I've always wanted to try butter chicken -- I might just have to make it this weekend :).

    ReplyDelete