Saturday, February 27, 2010

City Winery Show

This is evidently a link heavy post, but I just couldn't help myself.  Pat and I got to join some of his work friends for a show on Thursday night.  The whole night was such a blast.  City Winery is kind of like a dinner theatre type place, where you sit and enjoy the show at tables and you can order dinner and drinks.  Our table was really close to the stage so we had a great view.  
First up was Mikey Wax who preformed solo, playing keyboard, guitar, and piano.  He was fabulous and I liked all of his songs.  Video here.
Next up was Serena Ryder who I liked even more.  She's Canadian and has been singing since she was a little girl and I just loved her stage presence and song lyrics.  And she had adorable miniature guitars!  I definitely want to buy her cd.  In the meantime, you can listen to some of her songs right here. And a video here.  Live music is always fun but it's especially fun to discover people you've never heard of, right?
Howie Day preformed solo too, but if you were listening with your eyes closed you would never know it.  He does a lot of looping and had some fun with it too.  I thought he was pretty darn funny on stage.  You probably know of him for his song Collide.  Video here. And some music here.  I saw Ray Lamontagne solo a few months back which I also enjoyed, but Howie was way better!
We went to the early show which meant our show was over by around 9PM.  That made me happy since we still had to trek home afterwards.  Anyhow, I sure hope to go back to this venue again for some new tunes and delicous food and wine.  Fun stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment