Sunday, February 7, 2010

Win Some, Lose Some

One of my goals for the year was to cook more and to try lots of new recipes.  So far they've all turned out great.  Not this one.  Darn Potatoes!  The recipe says to use a mandolin to cut your potatoes nice and thin.  I don't have one so I chopped them in half and then used my Cuisinart to get the slices.  Maybe they weren't thin enough?  My other fault was I didn't use enough olive oil.  You are supposed to flip them over half way through and most of mine stuck to the bottom of the pan.  I am okay if things don't look pretty, but these tasted terrible because they weren't cooked all the way through.  I might just pour some half and half or milk on them and cover and bake to see if we can salvage them.  Oh well!  I only have before pictures of dinner last night because I was too mad about the taters. Ha.
Grilled asparagus is one of my favorites.  We put some olive oil, salt, pepper, and a little lemon juice on them.
At the local butcher yesterday we weren't too impressed by their meat selection and we just got some sliced roast beef (great sandwiches with our homemade pickles!)  This porterhouse came from our supermarket Shop and Stop.  The store has this pretty neat new system, you have a handheld scanner and each time you pick up an item to buy, you scan it before you put it in your cart.  It made checking out really fast!  It also gives you an idea of how much you are spending as you go.
-------------
A bunch of snow was predicted this weekend, however we didn't get any!  Just some sunshine that Winnie's been soaking up.  :)
We did a really hard P90X video today and I am already feeling sore.  When Pat gets to a good study stopping point we are heading outside for a nice little walk. 

Anyone cooking up some great Superbowl Snacks??  I am trying out another new recipe tonight.  Cause you win some and you lose some.  Gotta keep going!

PS: MAJOR Puzzle Progress this weekend!

3 comments:

  1. Sorry about your potatoes! I have a guess about what happened...if you were using a non-stick pan like the recipe calls for, the potatoes will stick - until they are done. Then they will release. Potatoes take a looong time to cook this way. Yay for sun, we are having sunny days here too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah and lots of oil, like you mentioned!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cheated and used a mix for my guacamole too!

    ReplyDelete